Thursday, February 3, 2011

I thought you only had to do this with kids??

So we are currently near the end of day 3 of being iced in our house.  Most of the nation got snowed in, but we got ice, with just enough snow on top to 1.) make it look pretty and 2.) cause people to believe they could drive on this stuff.

Well when we adopted Spencer last January we quickly learned that he does NOT like going out into the rain or snow.  We'd have to lock him in the back yard (block the doggie door so he couldn't come back in) for a few minutes until he realized he wasn't coming in until he did his business.  Well that's been all fine and dandy thus far, but then again, we've never had ice stick around this long.

At first Spencer just held it.  And held it.  And held it.  That first night he ended up going in the house.  :-(  So we decided that he would again have to be locked out for a few minutes each day until he went potty.  He quickly decided, "If I don't eat and I only drink a little, I won't have to go out very often!".  So for days now the dog has been surviving on the random scrap of people food and the occasional treat that he's gotten.  Tonight however, I realized that he's lost his chunk.  Last winter and this, as soon as the cold weather was here to stay, Spencer went on an eating binge and put on some extra weight.  It's only been half a pound each winter, but when you only weigh 12.5 lbs to begin with, that's a lot.  He gets fat rolls and everything!  So when noticed that the fat rolls were disappearing I knew he had to eat.  So, I did what any good mommy would do.  I tricked my "kid" into eating what's good for him.  :-)

I refilled his food bowl and drizzled a couple tablespoons full of the juice from the brisket I currently have in the crock pot.  :-)  Just to make sure and seal the deal, I took a small piece of fat from the brisket, minced it up and mixed it in his food as well.  It was just enough juice to coat it and more than enough that Spencer fell for it and has FINALLY eaten a full bowl of dog food.  :-D

My mom told me a long time ago that this dog was sent to me as training for when I have a child.  Hmm, from her mouth to God's ears I guess...LOL

1 comment:

  1. It really was training wasn't it LOL. Just found this and love it. You should write more. Love you!

    ReplyDelete